When researching a new topic it is often necessary to get an overview, explanations of unfamiliar terms, brief factual information, and test your own assumptions about the topic. The print and online resources listed below include encyclopedias, handbooks, and bibliographies for World War II history.
• A biographical dictionary of World War II [1972, print]
• Encyclopedia of the Second World War [1989, print]
• Encyclopedia of World War II: a political, social, and military history [2005, print]
• Great stories of World War II: an annotated bibliography of eyewitness war-related books written and published between 1940 and 1946 [2007, print]
• The Historical encyclopedia of World War II [1980, print]
• The Holocaust encyclopedia [2001, print]
• The Library of Congress World War II companion [2007, print]
• The Oxford Companion to World War II [1995 print; 2001 ebook]
• The Simon and Schuster encyclopedia of World War II [1978, print]
• Warfare and armed conflicts: a statistical encyclopedia of casualty and other figures, 1494-2007 [2008, print]
• Who's who in World War II [1978, print]
• Women and war: a historical encyclopedia from antiquity to the present [2006, print]
• World fascism: a historical encyclopedia [2006, print]
• World War II: a student companion [1999, ebook]
• World War II in Europe: an encyclopedia [1999, print]
Cambridge histories online
This resource, part of Cambridge Core, contains the online versions of over 270 Cambridge Histories publications in the following 15 areas: American History, British History, Economic History, General History, History of Science, History of the Book, Language and Linguistics, Literary Studies, Music, Philosophy, Political and Social Theory, Regional History, Religious Studies, Theatre Studies and Performing Arts, and Warfare. For a complete listing of titles in each area, please refer to the publisher's site, at: https://www.cambridge.org/core/what-we-publish/collections/cambridge-histories
Encyclopedia of the United Nations and international agreements
[HIL-GOVREF KZ4968 .O84 2003]
This thoroughly revised and updated edition is the most comprehensive and detailed reference ever published on United Nations. The book demystifies the complex workings of the world's most important and influential international body.
Oxford Bibliographies Online
"Oxford Bibliographies Online (OBO) is an entirely new research tool for the social sciences and humanities. A scholar-curated library of discipline-based subject modules, OBO is designed to help busy researchers find reliable sources of information in half the time by directing them to exactly the right chapter, book, website, archive, or data set they need for their research."
Purchased multi-user unlimited access
Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection
A digital collection of current and historical maps, from the Perry-Castaneda Library at the University of Texas at Austin. The online collection features images of over 5700 maps from the Perry-Castaneda Library, as well as extensive links to other map-related sites.
Open Access | 1896 - present