Since the 1950s, UNB Libraries has been building a working collection of maps and as of the 1990s began adding spatial data to extend our research and teaching as the data become available. The UNB Map Room has compiled a list of sources for cartographic material to supplement the print collection found in the UNB Libraries collection.
Maps & Atlases
- NB Atlas, Second Edition (Revised 2002)
- Historical Maps of Canada (Association of Canadian Map Libraries and Archives), listing only
- Atlas of Canada, including reference and thematic maps
- Digital topographic raster maps (CanMatrix), Canadian topographic maps
- Historical National Topographic System (NTS): 1:50,000 Scale Maps, Data, & GIS
- PCL General Collection, Perry-Castañeda Library including country, continent, world maps
- Browse our holdings of World War II topos found in the Map Room
- Download digitized WWII Topos from McMaster University
- Download digitized WWI Maps & Photos, McMaster University
- more ...
- Cartographic Citations, including maps, spatial data, and GIS software
- Search Canada's geographical names, using the Canadian Geographical Names Data Base (CGNDB)
- Convert LatLong.net, including addresses, DMS, & UTM
- How Far Is It?
- more ...
- NB Dept. of Natural Resources (DNR)
- Service New Brunswick (SNB)
- Statistics Canada
- Postal Code Conversion Files (PCCF) & PCCF + - Request Data
- DMTI Spatial (DMTI) CanMap® Products - Request Data (not all datasets are DMTI available)
- GeoNB Service New Brunswick
- City of Fredericton
- City of Moncton
- City of Saint John
- Geospatial Applications and Tools Government of Canada including,
- Geospatial Product Index, data from Geogratis
- Geospatial Data Extraction Government of Canada
- Toporama Interactive Map
- more ...
GIS & Mapping Resources
- ArcGIS Desktop or Pro Authorization Request for access to UNB licensed ArcGIS software
- ArcGIS StoryMaps (current platform)
- ArcGIS Story Maps Classic (extended support), including Cascade, Journal, Series, Shortlist, Swipe & Spyglass, and Tour.
- Moving to ArcGIS StoryMaps (blog post)
- QGIS free and open source
GIS Software Training
- Make an appointment with the Data/GIS Librarian
- ESRI Web Courses check with any of the following for possible access through site licence
- Siobhan Hanratty (Data/GIS Librarian)
- David Fraser (Mapping Technologist, GGE)
- Jae Ogilvie (Research Associate/GIS Analyst FOREM)
Select a resource
Frequently AccessedSOULS Canada's Open Gov't Portal Federal Acts & Regs Census (Stats Can) CHASS Data Centre UNB Dataverse GeoNB
Reference Desk ToolsFederal Gov't Phonebook NB Gov't Phonebook
MiscellaneousBeyond 20/20 Canadiana by CRKN USA.gov
- Monday - Friday: 8:30am - 5:00pm
- Saturday - Sunday: CLOSED