Who can 3D print at the Fabrication Lab?
All UNB student, staff and faculty are welcome in the Fabrication Lab and are allowed to create 3D designs and 3D prints with the available software and printers.
What is 3D Printing?
3D printing allows the user to create physical objects from a 3D digital model, done by creating “layers” that a 3D printer recognizes.
The 3D printer will print the object layer by layer using a plastic-type material (filament) that is melted while printing and hardens to produce a solid 3D object.
What 3D printers are available in the Fabrication Lab?
The UNB RC Fabrication Lab has 6 Original Prusa I3 MK3S+ 3D printers available for use. For more information about this type of 3D printer, please visit: https://www.prusa3d.com/original-prusa-i3-mk3/
What filament (printable material) do we use?
The Fabrication Lab uses PLA (Polylactic Acid) filament only for all the 3D printers. PLA is a very common filament choice that provides good dimensional accuracy, is easy to use and is a strong material that allows users to print a variety of designs.
The colour options we have available are:
- Grey (most common)
What software is available for use?
- TinkerCAD: a free, easy to use 3D design software. Excellent for beginners.
- Fusion360: 3D designing software that allows for more complex designs with integrated CAD + Cam software tools.
- Prusa Slicer: integrated with the Prusa printers, this software contains everything necessary to prepare your 3D designs to be exported.
Fabrication Lab Policies
Please familiarize your yourself with our policies and expectations.
3D Printing Guide
Visit the 3D Printing Guide for information on how to get started printing!
Hours of Operation
The UNB RC Fabrication Lab is open for UNB members from:
- Monday-Thursday 2:00 pm - 8:00 pm
- Friday-Sunday 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
- University of Alberta: https://www.library.ualberta.ca/services/3dprinting#equipment
Spaces + Technologies
- Active Learning Spaces
- Audio Studio
- Data Visualization Lab
- Digital Scholarship Hub
- Event Space
- Fabrication Lab
- Graduate Student Spaces
- Innovation Hub
- Lightboard Studio