Railway was first proposed in the 1830s by Brazilians looking for a
transporting their large coffee crops to the coastal
ports. It was not until 1856 that the Brazilian government
concession for the construction of the railway from Santos to Jundiahy,
70 km north of the city of São Paulo.
de Maua enlisted the help of British engineer James Brunlees, who in
turn hired his former student D.M. Fox, to undertake a survey of the
São Paulo area. Brunlees approved the survey and Messrs.
Robert Sharpe & Sons of England were engaged as contractors,
hiring about three hundred workers. Construction of the
São Paulo Railway began in 1860, necessitating the navigation of
vertical slopes of the Serra do Mar area which separates
interior from the coast. The 139 km line, completed in
1867, was the
main link between the São Paulo highlands and the
São Paulo Railway Company of Brazil was originally an English
company and remained as such for many years; it became the most
profitable British owned railway company of the time. In 1946,
the Brazilian government took over the company and renamed it Estrada
de Ferro Santos a Jundiai. In turn this railroad became part
of the Rede Ferroviaria Federal Sociedade Anonima (RFFSA)in 1957.
“59 A Gateway to Brazil”: The Trunk Line that Climbs a Precipice”.
“A Brief History of the Brazilian Railways”.
“Estrada de Ferro Santos a Jundiai”.
Document Maintained by:
Contact Website Administrator
Last Update: 2004/03/31