Title: Chatham Club fonds. -- 1880-1884. -- 3 cm of textual material
Administrative History: On September 1, 1880, the Chatham Club was organized by nine young men to provide "social welfare and amusement" for the young men in the town of Chatham, N.B. The club rented two rooms over John Brown's store, the rooms to be furnished with books, papers, chess materials, etc. and open each day from ten in the morning to eleven at night. The original officers included M.S. Benson (President), J. Rundle (Vice-President), R. Fairey (Secretary), and J.F. Ambrose (Treasurer) who, with W. Germaine and Peter Turner, formed the committee of management.
A set of bylaws established during the first meeting of the Chatham Club included the initiation fee to be set at $1, the term of office to be three months, and the election of officers to be held quarterly at a general meeting on the first of the month. Membership in the club was on the recommendation of current members
The Chatham Club continued to meet until at least April 26, 1884.
Fraser, James A. By Favourable Winds: A History of Chatham, New Brunswick. Chatham, N.B.: Town of Chatham, 1975.
Scope and Content: This fonds consists of three books containing minutes, certificates of post-office registrations for registered letters, letters proposing new members, and a treasurer's report.
Title: Title is based on name of creator.
Immediate Source of Acquisition: This material was among the Miramichi related documents purchased by Lord Beaverbrook and deposited in 1958-59.
Book One: September 1, 1880 - November 27, 1882. This book contains
minutes of meetings held by the Chatham Club.
It also includes a separate list of members of the Chatham Club beginning on September 1, 1882 and ending on November 17, 1882.
Book Two: September 1, 1880 - April 26, 1884. These appear to be the rough notes of minutes taken during Chatham Club meetings.
Book Three: Glued on the inside cover of this third book are certificates
of post-office registrations for registered letters sent in 1880.
There is also a small collection of letters proposing new members for the club, submitting resignations, and announcing
upcoming meetings. A treasurer's report for the quarter ending December 7, 1880 is also found amongst these letters.