Title: A. & R. Loggie Company fonds. -- 1887-1961; predominant 1887-1917. -- 2 cm of textual material
Administrative History: A. & R. Loggie Company was incorporated in 1881 in Black Brook, New Brunswick, later known as Loggieville. This company began with Andrew and Robert Loggie, the sons of Georgina Grey Jardine and Alexander Loggie. Andrew Loggie acted as President and Robert Loggie served as Vice-President. The company was later joined by another member of the Loggie family, Frank P. Loggie, who served as Secretary-Treasurer.
A. & R. Loggie Company were wholesale dealers and exporters of fresh and frozen salmon, halibut, mackerel, smelt, trout, haddock, bass, game, etc. This company also acted as a packaging company for Eagle Brand, Old Oaken Bucket, and Sea Gull Canned Goods. It also manufactured lumber, laths, and shingles. Two fires, January 31, 1890 and February 5, 1893, destroyed some of the company's buildings and factory outlets. After these fires, A. & R. Loggie rebuilt with more determination than ever.
On July 23, 1928, Andrew Loggie died at the age of 84. Frank P. Loggie died on September 15, 1939, at the age of 77 and his brother, Robert, died on January 17, 1940 at the age of 87. Homer J. Loggie became the general manager at the deaths of the founders. By 1941, there were branches at Dalhousie, Inkerman, Tracadie, Tabusintac, Richibucto, and Mulgrave, N.S. At the Loggieville branch alone, approximately 150 people were employed on a regular basis.
On August 4, 1944, fire destroyed the two mills at Loggieville. Damage was estimated to be $250,000. On September 21, 1945, Homer J. Loggie announced that Ashley A. Colter and Roland G. Laughlin, both of Fredericton, had purchased the entire A. & R. Loggie Company Ltd. Various branches of the company were sold. The remainder was eventually taken over by Jack B. Estey. The general store was converted into apartments. The fish processing plant and freezer were eventually sold to the W.S. Loggie Company Ltd. of Chatham.
Fraser, James A. Loggieville: Child of Miramichi. Fredericton 1973. (Archives FC 2499 .L62 F7x)
Fraser, James A. and Carlyle W.W. Stymiest. A History of Loggieville. Chatham, N.B.: Miramichi Press Ltd.1964. (Archives FC 2499 .L62 F69 1964)
Scope and Content: This fonds consists of bills of sale, contracts, correspondence, dues, inspection and registration certificates, and licenses related to the A. & R. Loggie Company, 1887-1917. There is also a file of correspondence from Jack B. Estey concerning the UNB acquisition of A. & R. Loggie documents.
Title: Title is based on name of creator.
Immediate Source of Acquisition: This material was among the Miramichi related documents purchased by Lord Beaverbrook and deposited in 1958-59.
File 1: Bills of Sale, 1890-1904.
File 2: Contracts, 1887-1916.
File 3: Correspondence, 1901-1914, 1961.
File 4: Dues, 1896-1905.
File 5: Inspection and Registration Certificates, 1898-1917.
File 6: Licenses, 1898-1909.