Title: R.E. (Reginald Ernest) Balch photographs fonds. -- pre 1970. -- 32 b&w photographs, 24.5 cm x 19 cm or smaller
Biographical Sketch: R.E. Balch was born in England in 1894
and emigrated to Canada in 1913. In 1930 he was appointed officer
in charge of the Dominion Entomological Laboratory, a federal
government facility, located on the UNB campus in Fredericton. In
the years that followed, he received world recognition for his work
as a forester, entomologist, ecologist and conservationist.
Photography was a life long hobby which culminated in the
publication of two books of photographs, A Mind's Eye in 1985 and
Celebrations of Nature in 1991. Reginald Balch died in 1994 in
Scope and Content: Photographs depict buildings, activities and
individuals associated with the University of New Brunswick. Some of the photographs are matted; some are mounted on heavy cardboard.
Title: Title is based on name of creator.
Immediate Source of Acquisition: Photographs deposited by Dr. Balch in 1970.
Access: Unrestricted. Copyright retained by Balch
Item list of Photographs:
2. Cross Country.
3. Flags in front of the Old Arts Building.
4. Dorothy Livesay.
5. Art Centre.
6. Carnival "Forestry 68" - the spruce budworm.
7. Bruno Bobak.
8. Lucy M. Montgomery, Edward Whelan... (Masks and Woodcuts)
9. Chapel, Old Arts Building.
10. Molly Bobak, (with negative).
11. Lucy Jarvis.
12. Duo Pach "Workshop".
13. Torchlight parade no. 1.
14. Torchlight parade no. 2.*
17. Burden Academy.
18. Carnival, U.N.B.
19. Summer Theatre, U.N.B.
20. Joseph and Arlene Pach and Malcolm Tait.
21. Brigid Grant, Art Centre.
21a No title, (back of 21).
22. Sir Edmund Head Hall.
23. Lady Beaverbrook Residence.
24. Campus, U.N.B.
25. Foresters' Ice sculpture.
26. Fred Neville's farm.
27. Fred Neville.
28. Stairs - Old Arts Building.
29. Great Hall, Old Arts Building.
30. Old Arts Building.
31. President Mackay.
32. Forestry Week.
*Item 14 can not be located. (Sept. 23/83; May 5/90.)
Document Maintained by:
email address email@example.com
Last Update: 2001/09/26