About the Microforms Department
In the interest of preservation, saving space and reducing cost, the printed page can be filmed to make what is called a microform. The microform collection is composed of materials in four different formats. These are: microfilm, transparent rolls; microfiche, transparent sheets (normally 4" X 6"); microprint, large opaque cards; and microcard, small opaque cards.
With the exception of some government documents, most of this material is housed in the Microforms Department which can be found on the third floor (see Floor Plan). Microforms contain a vast and diverse range of materials: books, pamphlets, periodicals, manuscripts, dissertations, dramatic works, government documents, and much more. To read about some of the material housed in Microforms, visit our Selected Special Collections section.
Access [back to top]
- Use the UNB Libraries' online catalogue, Quest.
- See specific printed guides and indexes mostly located in the Microforms Department.
- Please note that in Quest the locations for microforms material are indicated as the following:
- HIL-MIC = microfilm
- HIL-MCGD = guide or finding aid
- HIL-MICF = microfiche
- HIL-MICGDL = Loyalist Collection Guides and Sources
- HIL-MICP = microprint
- HIL-MICD = microcard
Equipment [back to top]
Microform reading equipment, copiers and digital scanner are all located outside the Microforms Office. The copiers for microfilm and fiche accept photocopy debit cards (purchased at the Circulation Desk on the First Floor). The microprint copies are paid in cash. The Floor Plan indicates the location of the above material as well as the equipment.
A staff person is available for assistance. (see Microforms Service Hours).
Services [back to top]
- Equipment reservation
- Lending - we lend all material with three exceptions: reference tools (HIL-MICGD or HIL-MICGDL); Fredericton newspapers; and the Loyalist Collection material.
- New Brunswick Newspapers on Microfilm for Sale - list of titles and prices.
Contact Information [back to top]
You are welcome to contact staff for further information:
- Christine Jack, Microforms Manager
- Harriet Irving Library
- University of New Brunswick
- P.O. Box 7500
- Fredericton, New Brunswick
- E3B 5H5 Canada
- Phone: (506) 453-4834 Fax: (506) 453-4595
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org