LOCATION: Third Floor, Harriet Irving
CATCH AND EFFORT DATA:
The following files are provided by the Department of Fisheries and Oceans, Atlantic Region, under the DLI for use within the constraints of
the DLI license to UNB Libraries authorized users.
These data have been prepared at the lowest level of aggregation for use in the Data Liberation Initiative spearheaded by Statistics Canada. All files were prepared using SPSS V10.05 and, as such, are self-documenting.
There are only minimal guidelines for use of these data; namely,
* in accordance with the provisions of the Access to Information and Privacy Acts, data at the port level is not to be released to any third party, but must be used strictly for research purposes. To avoid any compromising release of the information, it is requested that data for release to the general public be either at the minimal acceptable level of district (first three digits of the HOMEPORT and PORTLAND codes) or the sum of information for at least 10 ports.
* All records with identifiers 300126-300128 do not represent vessels but are species aggregates by port, by weir fisheries and on-board consumption of fish, respectively.
* effort data is extremely difficult to analyze, even for the best analysts in DFO, due to the variability in records and the level of detail available from log books. Only records with an EFFLAG of '-' are eligible for use in any analysis. Researchers who wish to analyze the effort information are urged to do so in cooperation with experts at DFO.
Any questions regarding these data or the details of any proposed analyses in which effort data is required should be transmitted to DFO at the Statistical Services website:
The subject area should include "Data Liberation Initiative".
There are SPSS (v10) save files for the years 1987-1998 available for analysis; the remaining files will be added to this site shortly. In the interim, users who wish the data on CD-ROM can contact the UNB Libraries DLI contact.
STEPS TO OBTAIN DATA FILES:
Links to electronic versions of documentation and SPSS or SAS command files are provided where they exist.
1. Click on the file you require to download the datafile to your hard
drive. This will take you to the Statistics Canada DLI license under which
the files are provided to UNB Libraries. After entering your email account,
an authorization screen will appear.
2. You must enter your PIN number and your email address to obtain the file. Only authorized users may download files from this site.
Document maintained by:
Government Documents, Data and Maps Department
E-mail address: Hamilton@unb.ca
Last update: 03/01/26